Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I am out sick today. There are four things on the agenda:

Two short lectures about the interactions of Supply and Demand in the realm of oil prices (which we've studied a bit before).

Lecture 1: Breakdown in Prices (12 minutes)

Lecture 2: Short Run Prices (11 minutes)

Then I have two articles I would like you to complete SOAPS+Claim Analysis for next class; be sure to see the "personalization" section I've added at the end.

SOAPS + Claim

Subject: What is the essay’s topic?

Occasion: What was the impetus for the writer’s writing the essay at this time?

Author/Audience: Who is the writer? What are his/ her credentials? Why should readers take seriously what she/ he has to say? To whom does the writer address his /her concerns?

Purpose: why did the writer write the essay? What does he /she want to convince readers of or persuade them to do?

Significance: To what does this piece relate? How might it be important to me, to others; to the world?


Claim: What is the writer intending to prove or establish? 

PERSONALIZATION: How does this information (or should this information) apply to me know or in my future?

You will get paper copies of the two articles (set up for margin notes); they are available online as follows:

No comments:

Post a Comment